View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 05:09 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Frustrating time casting my new rod

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. But, a fast rod is not really the way to start. You might be loading it, but unaccustomed to feeling it. You can overline it, but that will slow it down. In turn, this means that you'd likely be better off with a slower action rod. Sometimes it take the right rod to fit how YOU cast...sometimes, it's finding out what the rod wants to come alive.

It's interesting that I read this because I just got back from throwing some line. I casted three different rods:

Orvis Western Series 8'9" 7wt with a BBS III and WF7F.
Hardy Demon 9'0" 7wt with a Allen & Co Trout and Airflo Bass/Musky taper WF7F
No-name 8'0" 5wt Bamboo with a Pflueger Medalist 1494 (I think) and WF5F

These rods are as different as night and day. The Western series casted fine, but the Demon is a cannon that is much faster. The Bamboo has millions of years between it and the others. I had to completely change how I casted this rod as it was much slower, weighed more and took less effort. I look forward to throwing dries with the 'boo in a few weeks.

Beyond this, if you casted a 4wt Loomis with some success, casting a fast 8wt may feel alot like trying to get a broomstick to load like the 4wt...it will, eventually, but it might be better to find one that mimics the 8wt.

Just my opinion.