View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 06:01 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frustrating time casting my new rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberguy View Post
Got out with my new Redington CPX 9'6" 8wt today. It was a frustrating experience.

I know it's a fast rod, but I just couldn't carry enough line in the air to get it to load properly with WF8F and an unweighted streamer (by which I mean couldn't ever feel it load). Once I put a bead-head streamer and some split shot I could at least feel it load, but still couldn't get much consistent distance... a lot of times the line would just collapse out in front of me. Was trying to focus firm stops on my front and back casts, and trying to add hauls once in a while... but ugh. I will be ordering WF9F shortly to overline the sucker.

It was also pretty windy when I got on the water, that didn't help.

I'm still a novice, but I felt like at the end of last season my casting was coming along nicely, but that was primarily with my Loomis GL2 7'6" 4wt. Obviously these are very different animals though... I was surprised at how heavy the CPX felt today.
Here are two things that you can do.
1. Consider casting lessons. Knowing how to double haul is very important. A double haul increases line speed. More line speed means more load.
2. Overline the rod. Go to your local fly shop and try the rod with a WF9F or a WF10F.

Dennis