View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 PM

pkins44 will become famous soon enoughpkins44 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Winter Smallmouth

I caught my first 2013 smallie (8") this morning (10:30am) out here in illinios. Had temps in the low 40's but I didn't have my water thermometer. I was fishing below a dam that has a bowl beneath the falls about 8' deep and rises to about 2.5' after 20 feet. Picked up the little guy in 3' of water on a chart/wht clouser. I let it fall to the bottom of the bowl and bounced it along the bottom slowly until I worked each depth. I saw a couple of others but no luck. I also caught a snapping turtle. Luckily he had only bite the tail end of the fly and not the hook. Although he refused to let go until he was out of the water and on shore. I have been going out since January and this brings my fish count this year up to a whopping two fish and one turtle. Today was the most signs of life in the river so far. I was just glad to feel a tug on the end of the line.

I'm gonna try again in the morning but who knows. Most stretches of the river didn't even have fish in them yet. The river is very shallow and lacks good wintering holes in the section I fished today. Ill check out a different spot tomorrow and will bring my stream thermometer.

And great info on this thread for smallies. I found my "slow fishing" techniques were still way to fast after reading this. So today I tried to almost just let it drift along the bottom. Just enough movement to make it look not quite dead yet. Thanks for the help guys.

http://www.dupageriverflyfishing.com