Thread: Wet Fly Rod?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 05:16 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wet Fly Rod?

Some wets are heavy by dry fly standards, some are not. For example, a partridge and orange or a North Country spider (like Stewart's Spider) is not going to weigh a whole lot more than, say, a #14 dry fly; other than the weight of the hook.

As you start to bulk up the fly, let's say traditional hackled wets or flymps, you get well outside the range of dries and by the time you've arrived at some of the larger winged wets you're almost in the range of a small non-beadhead woolly bugger.

So, for me, there really isn't any one wet fly rod that's best for wets; it's a series of rods; depending on what type of wet fly I'm going to be fishing.

For soft hackles/spiders, I use a 9'0" Winston BIIt 4 wt., which most would regard as a strictly dry fly rod. It does the trick for me on those smaller wet fly patterns and doesn't give me as much of a "plunk" when the fly hits the water.

For more heavily dressed wets, including flymps, I'm usually using a medium action 5 wt. something like a 9'0" Sage ZXL (I know, you're not a Sage guy, but I'm not sure why.............)

For larger winged wets, I'm usually using a 6 wt.; my favorite (since I built it) is a Sage One 9'0".

This would be my list for areas where casting was not a problem. If you're in tighter quarters, then I would cut the rod length down to accommodate the situation; perhaps down 1/2 - 1 1/2 ft.

As MP said, wet fly fishing is alive and well in most of the US; it certainly is wherever I'm fishing.

Pocono