View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 06:03 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: When The Tables Turn...

How does one man respect another man's pride and still lend a hand without risking insult? It's a high-wire routine that can backfire on the best of intentions at any time. This morning, I find myself in that position, as it has come to my attention last night that "Sam's" parents are unable to afford a proper headstone for their daughter's grave. The devastating and costly effects of "Sam's" cancer have wreaked absolute havoc with the family's financial status, and they were fortunate just to be able to afford the cost of the funeral alone.

So, in typical "I can fix anything" fashion-- and since I know the parents well enough to know that they won't ask --I've taken on the task of helping to supply a headstone that will speak to who and what "Sam" was, and what she meant to many of her classmates, my family and friends, and me. After all, "Sam's" folks were there for me and mine when our youngest lost her battle with leukemia, and I can do no less.

After a few hours of calls, e-mails and PMs last night, I've got roughly 60 percent of the headstone paid for, with a stone-carver friend throwing in his craftsmanship free of charge. Friends have come up big on this project in a short period of time.

As I've just about tapped every personal resource, I'm going to put together a little something special, if anyone is interested... Every year, "my kids" throw many of their flies into a "community chest." We use it for fund-raising projects and occasions such as this. My plan is to put together a group of special fly boxes boasting 60+ flies-- it could be as few as 3 or 4 boxes, or perhaps a few more --that will be a combination of "my kids" flies and some of my own. I'll try to pick out the best of their work-- you might have to trim and spruce them a little --and mix them in with a few patterns that I'll tie up for the boxes.

If anybody has an interest-- and please don't feel obligated to participate -- the boxes will be $50 shipped to your doorstep, with the funds going to the "Sam" project. The boxes will take me a couple of weeks to complete-- what with ordering them and all --but they will arrive as promised. I don't know what ele I can do, as I've already listed for sale a few of my "extras" from around the house on that auction site. Short of that, I still have my "Triple D" fly selections for sale here on the forum.

It is written that pride is seldom delicate, and it took me awhile to let go of my own pride and accept help from others during the darkest days of cancer. I pray that this gift to the late "Sam" and her family will stand as testament to the fact that the headstone has nothing to do with pride... It has to do with caring... Jerry, aka hairwing530