View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 02:20 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Frustrating time casting my new rod

I didn't read all the posts here, but here's my two cents just the same.

I had a Redington CPX 9 ft. 5 wt., which was a cannon. But in order to feel it load I ended up having to overline it with Rio Grand 6 wt. line, which at the time was really 6.5 wt. line (I believe the new Grand is now a full plus one wt). As I experiemented with this rod and various line wts over the three years I had this rod, I found that even as my casting abilities developed, the rod never was happy with 5 wt. line. I did find that 7.5 wt. was too much, and that 6.5 wt. was pretty close to ideal. I would imagine that you should at least try 9 wt. line on your 8 wt., and 9.5 might be better.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Last edited by rangerrich99; 03-24-2013 at 02:56 PM.