View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drag on a fly reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsheet View Post
I know from my spinning reels and baitcasters how it works as the reel will release line even when reeling in depending on how the drag is set. I'm not seeing this with a fly reel though.
There are fly reels that do it the same way, they are called Anti-reverse reels. If you don't have an anti-reverse reel you need to know when to let loose of the reel handle. In a spinning rod, if you keep reeling while a fish is ripping line off, you end up twisting the heck out of the line, so I assume you know when to stop reeling with a spinning reel. It's the same with a fly rod. When you should stop reeling with a spinning reel is the same time you should let go of the handle.

Quote:
If you are you are reeling it in, no matter how the drag is set it will not release line. The only way that I can see the drag working is if you are simply not holding the crank (handle?). The crank and reel are locked in at 1:1 so no matter what that stays the same.
Correct. Not much I can add to that, you have it nailed down. Unless like I said, you get and anti-reverse fly reel, then you can hold it and the drag will feed line out without the handle flying around and beating your knuckles.

Quote:
It's almost like my old Ambassadeur 5000C, if you want to give the fish some line you simply crank in reverse. Am I missing something regarding drag on a fly reel?
You can back reel if you think it's a good idea, but the best thing to do is set the drag right to begin with (I go 1/4-1/3 of the tippet strength on a straight pull, and then when a fish runs, get my reeling hand out of the way. When a fish gets way out keep in mind the drag gets harder, bending the rod more increases the drag on the fish, so you will want to point the rod more at a fish that has you way out of the reel.

Back to that how I set the drag thing. A lot of people just go "Oh, this feels about right" and start fishing. You can do that and get away with a lot of times, but when you get a really big fast fish one of these days, it may bite you in the rear end. Set it right, get you hand out of the way, pay attention to how far away it's getting.