View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 05:56 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: When The Tables Turn...

imxer,

When my eyesight was lost to my second brain tumor and the lights went out on my world, it was a bitter pill to swallow, especially after hearing the news that the prospects of sight restoration were very bleak, at best. And, I took it hard, refusing help from those who cared and letting my stubborn pride get in the way. I hid my mid-directed anger and frustration behind the aforementioned pride, and it was nothing short of an ill-advised move on my part.

It also didn't take me long to realize that I needed help... that my adjusting to being blind was necessary if I was to continue the fight against cancer and not alienate those closest to me. So, the better part of my Scot/Irish/Polish stubbornness reared its head, and I adapted to my sightlessness in ways that I'd never dreamed of. In doing so, my other four senses kicked into overdrive, and most days, just the sound of the river or the feel of the current was enough to keep me in balance, so to speak.

Now, I look back on my five years of darkness as something of a blessing. I guess that you could say that powers beyond my comprehension forced me to reflect on the important things in life, and to appreciate them for how special they are. I guess you could say that my blindness opened my eyes...

When the bandages came off after the "miracle surgery" late in '09 and I was again privy to the world around me, I was "awe-struck." It was one of those "game-changing" moments that took some getting used to, being back among the sighted community. I vowed then and hold to that promise now, that I would never take for granted the truly blessed things that flavor my life. Every day with family, friends and acquaintances is a gift, no matter the challenges, and not something to be taken lightly. They who tolerate my shortcomings-- as well as cancer, blindness and "my kids" --all have taught me that. And, if the day ever comes when it becomes obvious that I'm in one of those rare "there's always tomorrow" mindsets, you have my permission to kick me squarely in the backside...

Today, in keeping with an attitude of doing what is right rather than giving in to what is easy, the quest to help out "Sam's" folks continues... Be well, my friends... Jerry, aka hairwing530

Last edited by hairwing530; 03-27-2013 at 04:15 AM.