View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage Fly Rod Cosmetics

Me thinks years of using a particular type action of rods may have engrained the need in some people to horse a rod to make it work. If the same technique is used on certain green sticks they will not take to it kindly. It's really that simple.
To try and convince some of us that Winston rods are inferior fishing or casting tools may be correct, if you don't know how to use them. I have no problem whatsoever setting the hook with my boron/graphite Winstons and when I do set the hook I land fish that would break off on other, tomato stake-esque rods. Feeling te rod laod at 20' is a given with a Winston but I have no problem at all in casting that same rod 100' with a nice, smooth stroke and without breaking into a sweat to get there. True story.
To each his/her own. I happen to enjoy using rods that cast well and more importantly fish well and are known to be drop-dead gorgeous.
I like Winstons for trout-type fishing but prefer other brands for salt water fishing. My quivver is full of different brand rods for different reasons but from 3 to 7 weights rods it's predominantly Winston I own and use because they do so well for me in those weight ranges. I have somehow managed to do great in some 30 years of hard core fly fishing with never owning a Sag rod. Maybe I never got drawn into their hype or glitzy advertising or maybe I shied away after seeing their flavor-of-the-month model changes drop the price of the rods they pushed so hard to convince the world were the end-all, do-all of fly rods. Their ads turned me off back when the cork in their ads looked as clean and flawless as cardboard until reality hit when I eyeballed them at fly shops. False advertising anyone?
If you're happy fishing Sag then great. Don't think for a minute that any of us who choose not to aren't happy too.

Click the image to open in full size.