Thread: Wet Fly Rod?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wet Fly Rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
In the old days before fiberglass and graphite, a rod with "dry fly action" was a crisper (and often shorter) rod made from the better strips of bamboo, so that you could dry your fly easily with quick false casts and they lay it down again precisely. Rods made from inferior bamboo usually didn't have the same crisp action, but were perfectly adequate for lazy, repetitive, down-and-across casting, and so were said by sunny-talking salesmen to have "wet-fly action". .
Actually the wet fly action rods were made that way on purpose and were very good for mending

When I was a youngster, my grandfather taught me how to fish, and he fished REALLY "old school" with "cast" of 3 wet flies, a long leader, and a 9' cane "wet fly action" rod.
It's a deadly way to fish that's pretty much forgotten.
Anyway, the rod had a soft action unlike anything most people would be willing to fish today which made it very easy to mend
They weren't so great for casting, but with a rod like that, you could make your flies dance