View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drag on a fly reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsheet View Post
I guess I'm confused again

You say to get the fish on the reel because the reel's drag is better than I am. But I can't see how my drag will come into play unless I actually let go of the handle and palm the spool. Or is that what you are talking about?
Yes you need to take your hand off the handle. As I said, when you are using a spinning rod, you know when to stop reeling because the drag will allow line to go out. If you don't stop reeling with a spinning rod you twist the heck out of the line. If you don't get your hand off the reel handle on a fly rod 1 of 2 things will happen, 1 you bust off the fish or 2, the fish removes your hand from the handle and it whacks you on the knuckles. And I don't know where you heard the palming thing, but as a beginner, I would just set the drag right and when a fish burns one on you, get your hand clear off the reel and let the drag do it's job.

OK, here is a video where you can see two things. How to get your hand off the reel when a big fish runs on you, and getting a bigger fish on lighter line.

I was trying to bust the 8 lb tippet Walleye record, but there were a lot of big Pike in the area. So what I did was rig a leader with a 30 lb. mono bite tippet but and 8 lb test tippet so the big Pike wouldn't bite me off. I fight it and land it. Watch what I do when the fish runs.