View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drag on a fly reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
They had line out of the reel, fish in fast water and just held the line tightly till it broke the fish off. It was the silliest thing I have seen in a while.If they had just given the fish line.

Dan it sounds as if these folks lacked line time, there lack of being able to control a catch with line, rod and personal control to work a catch. Is a drag important it's up to you, I think they give us more confidence, I've plenty of reels with them and with out, I don't think I need to stop a truck while casting for a 16" fish but do think I need to with a 40" stripper.

Rick
In the video I watched they as I said had line out of the reel and they did not feed them a single inch of it. They monkey armed the fish till it busted off which took all of 3 seconds to do. They never gave a fish the chance to get it on the drag. I also said "Busting a fish off is 100% operator error. All they needed to do was let the fish have some line so they didn't snap the dang line. It was the silliest thing I have seen in a while.

If you could just clamp the snot out of the line and never bust a fish off, there never would have been a need to invent the drag. Again, You can't just clamp the line down on a big fish in fast water AND NOT BUST THEM OFF.

Let me ask you this, how long does it take you to decide you had better give a fish some line before it snaps you off? Make that two. Do you get busted off a lot?