Thread: Wet Fly Rod?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wet Fly Rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post

When I was a youngster, my grandfather taught me how to fish, and he fished REALLY "old school" with "cast" of 3 wet flies, a long leader, and a 9' cane "wet fly action" rod.
It's a deadly way to fish that's pretty much forgotten.
There's an outfit in Central PA that still teaches this particular technique. It's called Wet Fly Waterguides.

I fished with Dave Allbaugh about 3 years ago on some of the better known Central PA water; Spring Creek, Penn's Creek, the Little Juniata, etc. Once you get the hang of casting a trio of flies without putting your leader into a knitting ball, it's pretty easy; down and across open casting stroke, one or two quick mends and let it drift into the center with slight intermittent lifts (at least that's the way that they do it). At several points I had multiple fish on the line at the same time and on one lucky cast, I had takers on all 3 flies. They start with 3 different flies; find out what the fish are biting on and then switch to 3 of the same fly. I still have some of their custom leaders that accommodate 3 flies.

Here's their website if you're ever in the Central PA area and want some wet fly action.

Home

The person who put me onto them was member "Greenwood". He's fished with them several times in the past. He's also a wet fly guy; particularly soft hackles.

Pocono