View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 AM

edwardo is on a distinguished road
Default July trip to New Mexico & Colorado

My wife and I will make a camping trip to northern New Mexico and Colorado this July (early to mid month) and I plan to fly fish as much as possible; hint, most of the campgrounds I have chosen are on some nice rivers . We'll be at Cimarron Canyon State Park near Taos for 4 days; Conejos River at Mogote, CO for 2 days; Molas Lake, CO for 3 days; Ridgeway State Park in CO for 3 days; RMNP for 3 days; and Camp Dick on the Middle St Vrain for 3 days. So, the options for fishing is the Cimarron, Red, Rio Grande, Rio Hondo, Rio Costillo while at Cimarron; Conejos River while at Mogote; Animas while at Molas Lake; Uncompahgre and Cimarron rivers while at Ridgeway; and too numerous to list while at RMNP and Camp Dick.

I'm willing to do 2-3 days with a guide in various places. My question is: On what rivers near these places would I get the most bang for the buck in hiring a guide? I've only been fly fishing for 2 years so am still new to the addiction. What rivers are fairly easy fishing for newbies where I could do well on my own? One place I plan to hire a guide is while at RMNP since my son will meet us there and he will need more help than me.

Also (tongue-in-cheek) who would volunteer to meet me and give me some tips while there?