View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 AM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: July trip to New Mexico & Colorado

Hi, Edwardo - I can help with fishing/camping near Cimarron. I Fish it every year in Sept. The Cimarron is very easy to get to as it runs along highway 64. I usually stay in the town of Cimarron and drive up to the Pallisades area and others. There is a small fee for parking in the turn-offs. Bring a short fly rod as the Cimarron is very brushy in most places. Go to U-Tube and type "fishing the Cimarron" to see some views. When driving up to the strean from Cimarron(town) you may want to stop in Ute park at Pine Ridge sta for licence and flies. Also, you can contact Doc Thompson for a guide. He can get you into private waters if so desired. Note that the Cimarron will be crowded in July but you can drive up and down the highway looking for solitude. You can camp at Gravel Pit lake, its just down the road from Palisades. Now if its solitude you want, drive up through Red River and Questa to Costilla and fish Rio Costilla for sure! Not hard to find, only one road in. Google Rio Costilla for more detailed directions. Also U-Tube has a few videos on the Valle Vidal area(Rio Costilla). You'll love this area, camp at Cimarron campground, 1/2 mile hike to Shuree ponds for some really nice trout. I'll be there in Sept so leave me a few fish! Good luck, Glen