View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 10:27 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Castro,Joe Brooks, & Lefty

Thanks Rip. Great article. I keep hoping to run into Lefty down here sometime because I have a question for him.

I was supposed to meet a guy I knew who managed (maybe part owner) of a fly shop in Wesport, CT at Pennfield Reef in 1969 to fish with him and Lefty. I had heard a little about Lefty, that he'd fly fished the Keys, and I was planning to move there permanently that winter. So I was hoping I'd have a chance to talk to him about it after fishing.

Unfortunately, I got a call from the manager of the Stamford town baseball team that we had a rain-out gaime rescheduled for that evening so I couldn't make it.

A few days after the missed opportunity, I asked Mike how the fishing was, and he replied that it was horrible - the most embarhassed he'd been while fishing in his life. He said he'd hooked Lefty through the cheek so hard with a streamer they were able to cut the barb off inside his mouth and pull it out.
Mike was reluctant to elaborate and I didn't press since I knew hiim only as a customer and someone to talk fishing with.

But I've always wanted to ask Lefty if he kept fishing or called it a night.