Thread: Guide job
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guide job

I'm going to quote myself from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I never worked as a guide, but I worked in the fly fishing industry for six years.

There are two types of guides. One is an independent operator. The other works for a licensed outfitter. The independent operator has a business license, insurance bond, and guiding license. He is responsible for all of his overhead. The employee type is hired by a licensed outfitter. The outfitter takes care of the business overhead. In some states, the employee type guide will have to obtain a special guiding license to work for outfitters.

The shop that I worked at was not an outfitter. It contracted licensed guides.

One thing that I learned from the independent guides is that they have to know how to run their own businesses. You don't necessarily need a degree, but a few basic business classes under your belt will help. I have seen a few guides fail because of poor basic business practices like record keeping.

There are guide schools available. I have had mixed reviews on them.

Here's a reality check. Don't plan on getting rich in the industry. Guiding is more of a labor of love. Most successful guides who I know work part time in the industry and have full time paying jobs.

Dennis
The decision that you need to make is whether you want to be an employee or an independent contractor.

Any other advice? Contact all the fly fishing shops and outfitters in the region.