View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: H2 vs H 8'6" mid flex 5 weight

I do not own any Helios rods but have cast a bunch and fished with four; #5, 6, 8 & 9. The reason Orvis introduced H2 is not entirely for the sales pitch or newness...there were issues with original Helios largely having to do with inadequate lower taper reserve power (or power at all!). H2 introduces a totally new staff member for the Orvis rod team who was brought in to analyze and correct taper design issues pointed out by not only many of us in this forum but by G. Anderson in his Shootouts as well. Having said this, the 8 1/2'/#'s 4 & 5 were "sweet spots" in original H so I would not dispose of this rod especially as you said you think it works great for you. Can't blame your salesman for wanting to sell you a new one and go for it, not as replacement but to supplement what you have. I test cast both mid and tip-flex 9'/#5's and (not reading the writing on the blank as I switched off with a friend) slightly preferred the tip-flex. My favorite of the ones I cast was, surprisingly, the #8...a particular weak spot in H but way better in H2. True, I am a rod aficionado, but there really are design and material advancements that warrant the introduction of new rod series and, if the company makes money in the process, good for them! Take a look at the 8 1/2' or 9'/#4 in H2.