View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 12:51 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Kiwi coming to visit

I used to live in Kingston Ontario and to get to decent trout fishing, we had to go north. One area we liked to visit was the area just north of Ompah. The fishing for brook trout, small-mouth bass and the occasional rainbow trout was very good. This was over 50 years ago. I don't know if the fishing is still good up there. We used the minnows that we trapped in the lake we fished to catch fish. No one did any fly fishing.....the fish never broke the surface of the lake.

Where I live now, it's a completely different story. Very few lakes contain anything other than brook trout. Very few of them even have minnows. The water in these lakes rarely gets above 65 degrees F at the surface during the summer. Putting all of these factors together, you can see that fly fishing conditions are optimal. Even during the months of July and August, the dry fly fishing is phenomenal. There is great fishing right here in town. It's a 5 minute walk to where I can catch landlocked salmon, brook trout and walleye on a fly rod. I live near the center of town.

Not many people fish near town because everybody expects to catch his limit of trout (20 trout of any size) when they go fishing. 90% of the fishermen prefer catching their limit of 10 to 14 inch trout than spending more time catching a few trout over 18 inches long.

The Saguenay river runs through the middle of the town where I live (Chicoutimi) and it has a huge population of sea run brook trout that get quite large. A 20 inch brook trout in the Saguenay is a common occurance. The fly fishing is very good.