View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations, thoughts on a streamer specific trout rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
Good questions.

First, I think (wink wink) I like buying rods and manufacture more reasons to get them.

Second, I find the 7wt tip flex just a little much for the trout. I'd like to reserve the 7wt with it's fighting butt for carp and similar sized fish. My 5wts are mid or full flex.

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

6,4,2 some with lead eyes, lead, fur etc... Would like to tie up some articulated streamers but haven't and have never fished them. Sections of the spring creeks I fish vary and the Shenandoah river is the largest I'd fish and where I'd go for bass/carp.
Depending on the size of trout you are targeting I can see where the 7 wt might be too much rod. A couple years ago I fished the Missouri river in the spring with a 7 wt z-axis (my primary streamer rod), it did ok, but the next year I took a Helios 8 wt as we were targeting some really big strong trout in some fast chutes. The year before the big boys were breaking 2x tippet and straighten size 8 hooks.

Larry