View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 09:34 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9' 8-weight versus 11' 8-weight (switch)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrown View Post
Axel27 is right on..my 8 weight switch throws a 10 weight rio outbound short perfectly. A switch rod is perfect in a couple conditions and not so good in some...IMHO. Great in the surf or anyplace where there is moving water and the casts are fairly repetitious. Not so good for sight fishing, varying distances, and off boats. They are called switch rods cause you are supposedly able to use them either 1 handed or 2 handed. The higher weights..like my 8 weight...are extremely difficult to consistently fish with one hand. Just to heavy.
Someone mentioned being able to cast a one handed 9' 8 weight longer than a 11 foot switch cast 2 handed....beg to differ...in the correct situation I don't see this happening. A two handed cast is far easier on the body than a one hand cast.
I have to agree with Bob on this one. I went from a 9' 10wt to a 9wt switch for casting the surf. I now see that the switch was a waste of money for me, casting single handed with a 11'6" "switch" rod is not realistic. If I'm forced to use two hands why bother with a switch? I now use a 13' rod for overhead casting the surf and a 9' rod on boats and flats for accuracy.