View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 AM

moucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Recommendations, thoughts on a streamer specific trout rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post

Second, I find the 7wt tip flex just a little much for the trout.
Well, that certainly seems to suggest trying the 6 or 5 weight H2 instead for starters. And the H2 design is reportedly stronger in the butt than the original Helios, which should help its streamer performance too.

Alternatively, a Loomis 9' 6 weight (whether IMX, GLX, StreamDance or NRX) might be just the ticket. Loomis's designer Steve Rajeff is one of the pioneers of the strong butt and midsection with a sensitive tip. Or perhaps the Hardy Zenith in a 6 weight, since the 5 has gotten such good reviews.

Other stout 6 weights might include the Loomis Max GLX and Sage One, or at lower prices the TFO TiCrX, TFO Axiom, and (now-discontinued) Redington CPX, but you might find them even more brutish than your Helios 7 weight.

A closeout (if you can still find one) or gently used Sage Z-Axis or Orvis Hydros tip-flex in a 6 weight might be other options that would be easier on the wallet.

(PS: I was looking for the exact same kind of rod a year ago -- a 9x6 for streamers, wind, and big water -- and after trying Winston, Scott, Sage and TFO I liked the (original) Helios best, but that was before the H2 came out. Did not have a chance to compare the Zenith or any Loomises. I ended up buying a Hydros rather than a Helios, because they were built on the same blank as the Helios and had been recently discontinued, so they were being blown out at low prices. I might have liked a Zenith or Loomis better if I had tried one, but I liked the Hydros enough that I couldn't justify the extra cost.)

Last edited by moucheur2003; 03-27-2013 at 11:08 AM.