Thread: Summer Trip
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 05:52 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Summer Trip

As Boiler said (nicely I may add), you ask about too broad of an area. Your post won't get much traffic until you narrow it down a little. WRNF is the largest classified "national forest" area in Colorado I believe. It spans a gigantic area. One could spend a lifetime of summers exploring Yellowstone and Grand Teton and never see it all. And then you will still have time to see Glacier and Yosemite?

If I were you I would concentrate my time into only an area or two. Fishing unexplored territory is much like a game of poker. It takes time to get to know your opponents before you can see how they play. Same with the diverse waters of the Rockies. From the sounds of your plans, by the time you figure a water out, you'll be packing it up and moving on.

And it sounds as if you are more eager to check out the National Parks of the Rockies as opposed to the National Forest and designated wilderness areas. I personally prefer the latter but of course NP's are awesome too. If you plan on coming to Colorado and you favor NP's, a trip to Rocky Mtn NP would be a mistake to miss.

As for Yellowstone......how do you like crowds? If you hate them like I do, consider a short backcountry trip far up into the Slough Creek drainage. The farther you go, the crowds thin out. And if you want to fish in almost complete isolation, the southwestern part of Yellowstone is a neccesity. Fall River and Bechler River have great fishing in a less traveled area. And the hikes are quite short to get back to the good fishing. And this corner of Yellowstone is known as "Cascade Corner" due to the many scenic waterfalls that are almost non-existent in the rest of the Yellowstone backcountry.

Never been to Teton and/or Glacier. And I could type for pages about the White River NF