View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 11:57 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: opening day strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I used to love opening day but I got over it.
I'm kind of lucky that I live in a region that has trout waters that are open year round. Usually I will have 20 days fishing before the traditional trout opener (this year April 27). If I miss the opener, it isn't a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewbar View Post
Just curious how you approach the first day of fishing season. April first in maine usually still has some snow melting, the water is high and not much bug activity. Where to fish? lakes, ponds, rivers, brooks? What patterns would you use.
If you choose to fish on opening day with high water and little bug activity, you are going to have to play with different strategies. My local mid-elevation river has plenty of snowmelt coming down at the end of April. I swing a heavy sink tip with either a leech or bugger. The reality is that line strategy is as important as fly choice since both the line and the fly have to be at the proper depth.

Dennis