Thread: R-rated Birding
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default R-rated Birding

I'm not really a birder. I've been known too follow eagles and watch shorebirds and stuff like that but that's just another excuse for spending idle time outdoors.
Last year I got involved with clearing woodcock habitat at the open space up the street where I sometimes fish. You might say that I have an ulterior motive to stay involved with what goes on there.
Anyway, this is the time of year when the woodcock perform their "sky dance" mating ritual beginning almost exactly 22 minutes after sunset and I went last night to check it out.
It was getting dark and if it's wasn't for the strange calls and the sound of the wind passing through their wings as they fall, you might think that they were bats. But still it was kinda cool and I'm glad that I helped out and then went back to see the "dance"
There's youtube videos if you want to check it out for yourself or maybe you might just visit your local open field tonight after sundown