View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 11:45 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Nymph fishing without indicators

My first fly-fishing trip after moving to Utah (from PA) was in March of 2011. A local guy that I had corresponded with for years (for work) offered to take me to the Provo River to "show me the ropes."

So we get to the river and he proceeds to tie on a huge (ping-pong sized) bobber, with a 10' piece of mono and three (3) large split shot tied to the end. He knotted a couple of droppers with small nymphs about 1-2 feet above the shot and starts heaving this rig upstream. I looked on in utter amazement as he continually reached downstream and flipped this rig upstream over and again. I joked with him saying that, "you didn't tell me that we would need our baitcasters… I thought we were FLY-fishing today." Well, he was not amused and long-story-short, that was our first – and last – fishing trip together. He explained to me walking back to the parking lot later that "everybody fishes like that out here!"

I later learned that this is called the "Provo Bounce Rig" (or something like that) and I see lots of people flipping these bounce rigs all over the west. It's not pretty to watch, but apparently it can be very effective… but then again, so is drifting salted minnows on spinning gear, and to each his (or her) own.

Anyway, this was the first time that it occurred to me that there could be a difference between strike "indicators" and bobbers… with a LOT of "gray area" separating the two!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring