View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Nymph fishing without indicators

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor16 View Post
I'm more interested in technique versus alternatives to "bobbers" or strike indicators or yarn, etc...
Excellent topic Taylor!

When I learned, indicators were unheard of. You cast either directly upstream or quartered upstream. You then gathered line as the drift came down to assure a drag free drift. The line was kept well greased with Mucilin and the drift of the floating line was the 'indicator'. I learned fishing tandem and triple dropper rigs and the little tufts of fur were devastating. As for detecting the strike by sighting the tip of the line for a slight hesitation................ I more often felt the fish grab the nymph than I saw the line pause.

As the flies passed by your position the rod tip was elevated to keep line off the surface and then slowly lowered as the drift passed and continued down stream. At the terminus of the drift you allowed the nymphs to 'dangle' and often this was the ticket provided you had planned to end the drift in good holding water

I haven't read the other replies but will come back to this thread as I have time to see what you got by the way of replies. What you are asking about and what I have began to describe is 'traditional nymph fishing technique' and I feel that it is the best way to learn nymph fishing. Frankly antone can watch an indicator............. To master the art & sport of fishing the sunken fly one should learn the knack of the drift.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;