View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 12:37 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Is The Difference...and Why?

I too used one of those cane poles with line tied to the end of it when I was a kid. I have a TenkaraUSA Iwana and I can tell you it's not the same as the cane pole from the hardware store. For one thing, you cast a tenkara rod, actually wasn't tough to tweak my fly cast, just couldn't increase the line off the tip of the rod. I found I had great accuracy with my cast and it was easy to make a very stealthy, subtle presentation. I fished tenkara flies, but also used the same dries and nymphs I use normally, even heavy czech nymphs. The compact nature of the tenkara rod is what draws me. Makes is so easy to carry the collapsed rod, a box flies, tippet spool, etc when walking with the family.

It won't replace my regular fly gear, but it's not the same as a cheap cane pole.