View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 05:31 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I Met Myself Last Night...

It's one of those long-ago coats, a denim barn coat with a flannel blanket lining and a quilt-work of stitching and repairs from years of use. It still bears the initials "HCK" for Harry Carson Kincaid, my grandfather, and today will mark its return to active duty. The temperatures forecast today should make the coat a perfect fit, especially from my own perspective.

I'm breaking it out and back into the daylight later this morning for at once a logical and then a very personal reason-- that coat has seen more barn-raisings and outdoor chores than one could imagine, as it pre-dates me by about a decade and was my grandfather's favorite "go-to" coat. And, today, one of my "construction-rat" fishing cronies and I will be taking his "Baja Special" truck and traveling back to "Trail's End" to make a list of the materials we're going to need, come April. The on-going thaw might be a little more than even the ol' "Fish Truck" could handle!

I've begun to look at the "Trail's End" project as something of a mirror-image of the three-book "Tranquility" series by the late Col. Harold P. Sheldon. "Tranquility" was marked by my first visit back to "Trail's End." "Tranquility Revisited" will take place later today, where tape measures, note pads and evaluations will be the focus of the day.

And, as for "Tranquility Regained?" That, my friends, will occur when we finish the repairs and make the place ready for trout season, and I strike the first match to a woodstove filled with seasoned oak. Only then will the trilogy be complete...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Last edited by hairwing530; 05-01-2013 at 05:39 AM.