View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 07:21 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Targus Gary Borger light touch fly rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Moucheur, Does one or both of these Targus series of rods feature the Formica foil paint job similar to the previous Albright EXS rods ( but in bronze rather than green)? I have it on good authority that they are more-or-less the same rods from the same fine Korean rod shop as the discontinued Albrights which were very good rods.
Don't know why I didn't think of this before.

I was dusting off some of my tackle getting ready for spring, and looked at my Targuses next to my EXSes. Curiously, the Targus Pro and EXS rods are both made in Korea, but the Targus Light Touch rods are made in China.

This leads me to suspect that the Targus rods are probably not based on EXS blanks, in spite of the similar finish. Besides, as silver creek attests, Borger spent a lot of time helping Targus design their tapers. (In addition to the paint job there might be other similar features in the way the blanks were constructed, but even so, the Targus rods would not simply be rebranded EXSes.)