Thread: PA Steelhead
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 01:20 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PA Steelhead

Erie Steelhead are fall run fish for the most part though we do get a few that seem to come in in the spring. Fish start staging somewhere in September and will come in until ??? There are fish in the streams though April.

If you're traveling a distance to get there, just pick two weeks that you like to fish and commit yourself to going. Fishing conditions are highly dependent on weather, more so than many other areas I've fished. I've left for the tribs with ideal conditions only to get there and be forced to sit and wait because the streams are blown out. This is a 2 hr or less drive for me.

What's also important is understanding the weather's impact on the streams, reading the weather, looking at maps, etc. You can find a stream to fish in a neighboring state that might not have been negatively affected as much if at all as the ones in Erie. Sometimes those streams are more ideal.

In short, the best time to go is whatever time you can get away and do it. Being able to leave at the drop of a hat I guess is what I'd say is most ideal and if you're like me that's not always possible.