Thread: Tenkara Forum?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 10:21 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenkara Forum?

Well put Joni.

Stenacron, I believe dappling gets the fly to the fish using the wind to carry the line. This can be done with a tenkara rod, or a stick with a line, but I've also done it with my 9' 5wt and a light dry or nymph and that didn't suddenly mean my fly rod was defined as a dappling rod. As with a fly rod, a tenkara rod is cast, I was surprised how similar the cast was.

Bringing up marketing and net styles and questioning the value of tenkara is beside the point of the thread. There are aesthetics in regular fly fishing that I find rather goofy but don't care if others invest in them (I don't have a tenkara net anyway) and there's plenty of marketing in fly fishing. I think the real question is whether or not tenkara can be considered a form of fly fishing. Threads I've seen that try to define fly fishing tend not to come to a solid conclusion on the matter. This description of a clinic through the international federation of fly fishers defines it as a 'traditional Japanese fly fishing method' and stating that you don't see a difference between it and high stick nymphing both indicate that it can be categorized as fly fishing and imply that it's not outside the scope of this forum.

I would enjoy having a place here to talk about it with others. I do go to tenkara focused forums, but I like this forum and see my tenkara rod as one of my fly rods. My concern is that every thread will be hijacked with negative comments and challenges unrelated to the thread topic. I don't care that much when people want to discuss something on here that I'm not interested in and don't know where the hostility and negativity comes from when tenkara is mentioned.