Thread: Tenkara Forum?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenkara Forum?

Frank, I think I posted earlier that dapping uses wind to transport the fly to the fish whereas a tenkara rod is cast. You might not like tenkara or see the point, and that's fine I'm not an evangelist for it, but it's not dapping. If my understanding of dapping is wrong I'm happy to be educated on it, but if I'm right the comparison is flawed.

I think your point that tenkara could be talked about anywhere on the forum (though probably not reels) is a valid one to consider. But there are different rods with different action (not something I understand only having one rod), various line types, as well as different flies. Additionally pictures from fishing trips, etc. I could see them going in one area or throughout the forum. I'm not that invested in having an individual place on the forum, but it would be nice to have tenkara brought up without people who aren't interested in it weighing in with sarcasm. Optimistic I know.

As to what tenkara has to offer that we don't already do, since when does that matter in fly fishing? Many love gear that doesn't justify itself as necessary, I just bought another reel for my 5wt because I like it and it was on sale. I don't get why people buy a lot of the stuff I see posted on here but what do I care? It's their money and their fishing time, let them use it how they want. I'll do the same.

Jackster, whether or not to have sections on this forum that are well covered on other forums, that would be a rough road to start down; rod building, fiberglass and bamboo rods, regional fishing, fly tying, etc etc. This is a general fly fishing forum that covers many specialized areas of fly fishing which have their own forums. I think Frank raises a good question, but the existence of other forums doesn't fit for me given how this one currently operates.