View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 06:39 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: When The Tables Turn...

Fred,

When I think back on the kind of "stuff" that men like my grandfather, "Doc" and the late Montgomery Jackson just did on a daily basis, I'm continually amazed at the level of their self-reliance. The long and the short of it was that they just KNEW things! No matter the job at hand or the challenges it brought, the men of their ilk willingly took them on, almost as if it was second-nature to do so. I thank the Good Lord that I was brought up in the era of "can do," rather than "can't do..."

And, the list of what they "could do" defies concise definition and listing. Sharpen a knife with an old Arkansas stone and oil? No problem... Build a smokehouse to cure their own meats? Easily done... Re-wrap the windings on a loose guide on a fly rod? Piece of cake... Re-build an entire rod, tie some flies and still find time to re-stock a shotgun for a boy while holding down a full-time job? Nothing to it... It's amazing what how talented a group of men that I had the privilege with whom to keep company in my younger years.

By no means am I implying that we don't have some talented "spouts" practicing some of the "old ways" right now. There is an approach afoot to learning and honing the skills of the old days right now, and I couldn't be more pleased. When a craftsman passes on, he often takes his wealth of knowledge to the grave with him-- an incredible waste of lessons learned amidst some of the lost arts. And, for that, I grieve...

Enough maudlin talk for this morning. My heartfelt wishes of tight lines to you, Fred, and all of my NAFFF'ers for their kindnesses and generosity on this Easter Sunday...

Jerry, aka hairwing530