View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 07:19 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I Met Myself Last Night...

My "river walk" ritual came early this morning, as in "0-Dark Thirty." With the trusty old Coleman lantern in hand, I put myself into "stealth mode" and made my way outside without awakening "she who worries about me most." The tracks in the snow from two weeks back would now be replaced by impressions left in the mud, and to seek them out and identify them is a constant source of enjoyment. Besides, I didn't need the sight of the river this morning... just the steady sounds of its currents rushing east toward an eventual collision with Lake Huron.

The wanderings along the top of the riverbank carried with them their usual discoveries-- that the whitetail had been active overnight, as had a few raccoons, and that a large flock of wild turkeys were using this same pathway during the daylight hours.

On the walk back home, I happened across another old cedar-post tripod with a nearby firepit and a couple of "stump" chairs. Back in the day, some anglers would erect such a system, wrap it with a canvas tarp, and spend the night there, their only source of heat being the nearby fire. To date, I've come across two such sites along the course of about a mile of river.

The tripod obviously was well built, as its posts have weathered many seasons, unless I miss my guess. Having now found two such temporary lodging sites within a stone's throw of the river, it made me wonder just how much of the river's history we wade past in a given day. In the days to come, I'm going to be firm in my commitment to add a heavy mix of bankside exploration combined with just enough fishing to keep my line wet.

Maybe, "the kid" still lives somewhere deep inside this aging exterior...

Have a Happy Easter, everybody... Jerry, aka hairwing530