View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A Very Timely Test & Review of Grip Studs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishi View Post
Interesting discussion. In addition to being a fly fisherman I ride dirt bikes. The Grip Studs are just like those used by dirt bike riders to create their own winter tires. Long studs for racing on frozen lakes and shorter ones for more general winter riding conditions. A couple of tires will require hundreds of these studs as they are screwed into most of the knobbies on the tires. My understanding is that performance is amazing but very expensive. As one person pointed out the Kold Kutter screws are a less expensive alternative. Cheaper than even these I would imagine are simple hex headed screws. Nice to see the cross-over application.
I have been using those "simple hex headed screws" for years now. They work just fine for me. I buy them at the big box hardware store for dirt cheap. I use a cordless power drill to install them, and carry a quarter inch nut driver in the truck in case one needs to be replaced.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton