View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 09:36 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nymph fishing without indicators

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
Very interesting thread. I am new to the idea of Nymph fishing with indicators.
Is there any merit in just watching the area where your fly line attaches to the leader? My fly line is willow and fairly visible (SA Mastery textured).
I can usually see this area pull forward on a strike when wet fly fishing. Could a visual indicator be preferred, as to an actual flotation device? of foam or yarn? I was thinking like flourescent tape or even bright nail polish. How important is the bobber effect in presentation? I would be mostly dead drifting with some partial stripping. I like the idea of yarn. I was thinking a tuff od seal fur or other tied device might be neat. Whats the most boyant fur? Beaver, seal?
As George Daniels explains it... Indicators are good for drifting at long distances(he makes reference of a fellow he watched fishing in a competition making 160' drifts in which no man could see the tip of their line move... But that's a bit extreme for the average joe... but still at 50-60' it can be really tough to see a subtle movement or pause of your line tip)...

He also makes note that an indicator will allow you to drift a fly at predetermined depths depending on where you set your indicator on your leader so as to reach trout that may be feeding within a certain range of the water column....

These are only a few reasons... There's almost 40 pages of his book dedicated to "suspension" techniques... aka using some sort of sighter... or bobber... or indicator... If you wanna know more... Buy the book it's definitely worth the money for the amount of knowledge packed in the book... That goes for the OP as well

I think the most buoyant may be snowshoe rabbit... But don't quote me on that