Thread: Tenkara Forum?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 10:38 AM

Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenkara Forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
This is a very tough pill for me to swallow... so there is a USA Fly-fishing Team... and they had no knowledge of fishing weighted nymphs on a slack leader, until their Czechoslovakian coach showed them? Not exactly conjuring up images of the Dream Team here.

Charles Brooks must be rolling over in his grave.

First off, Dream Team is one the wins, as mentioned we got our arses handed to us, so yes, we are trying to adapt.
As for them not having knowledge till shown, isn't that what is happening here?

Frank, I grew up fishing the Snake River. Poor family but you would never know it. My friend and I would grab a 8' piece of bamboo out of the garden, tie mono to it and a hook and worm or a lure we saved up to buy.
We caught fish and were happy as could be.
Tenkara is NOT the same trust me. If you are saying the same motion, well that covers ALL fishing.
Everything about Tenkara is fly fishing. Using the line to get this feather light hook out to the fish in a delicate manner. Only difference is lack of guides and a reel?

Dapping? Possibly but you can also cast it. I watched the Tenkara presentation and with a 13' rod and 16' leader, he was hitting two of the contest rings effortlessly, so you see it will do more.

As for other rods being able to do the same thing, then why do any of us have different rods. Seriously, an 8 wt can land that 6" shiner.
We buy special rods for special applications, don't we?

I see this Tenkara shining on some streams that have several different currents running the shore line with a nice seam out 13' which happens to everyone thus the need for 10' and longer rods. But, advantage here. I fish year round and my guides and line are not going to get stuck from freezing. Just another tool.

I like the idea of a Topic board here because I feel that Forums LIKE to keep its posters. I could be wrong, but sending them away? It will not hurt any of you people that do not wish to try it, but I see a lot of good info exchanged among us that do.

It is all a constant class anyway.

I am done.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 04-02-2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Removed some content