View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 11:10 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 9" 8# what you like

I had 7 & 8wt TFO BVK's and sold them. For me these are not very versatile rods. They cast med to far (44-80') well but was not easy to manage on the closer 20-30' casts that sight casting is done so much of. Honestly IMHO TFO has taken the whole "fast" way too fast on most of their rods. Many such at the Axiom actually cast better over lined.

We often wade fish from a drive in point, not standing 2-3' above the water surface on a boat. Here a fisherman has one rod and often casting while standing 3' deep. Versatility in a single rod is imperative.

I would suggest you consider the currently on sale Sage Flight and Vantage rods (on sale in the $175-250 range). My 8wt Flight cast every bit as far as the BVK but handles the close casts well.

My oldest son has the Vantage which is a bit slower (but not wimp rod, closer to a Med Fast). It is very very smooth and allows a full range of casting distances. My wife loves her 7wt Vantage.

The TFO ProII is a moderate fast & priced rod without the extreme-ness of the BVK & TrCiX. Bit heavier but the casting performance exceeds it price point.

I bet a nickel 5-8 years from now we'll see most rods in the vain of the Sage Circa, moving back to more moderate tapers. Fly fishing is much easier with flyfishing tapered rods rather than fast taper spinning rods with fly guides.

My 2 cents.

Pete A.