View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 11:50 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nymph fishing without indicators

Charles Ritz writes about fishing with Frank Sawyer (inventor of the Pheasant Tail Nymph), and says that he marvelled at Sawyer's ability to SEE a trout take a nymph. Sawyer watched the tip of his line and his leader, the flash of white indicating a trout has opened its mouth, and simply seeing the trout take the nymph and turn away. Ritz doesn't discuss the use of any sort of bobber, or tuft of yarn, although he did not share the same success as Sawyer. I'll have to go through Ritz's book, as I believe he might have used a bit of yarn. This is where I get my definition of tradtional nymphing, and first read Ritz's book when Imwas about 15 years old. Ard can tell you how he came to define traditional nymphing, but I already know it was formed while fishing in North Central Pennsylvania.