View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 12:13 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: When The Tables Turn...

Throughout my lifetime, I have been one of the lucky few who became "the student" early on, learning first-hand that the world was my teacher. It began with my grandfather, a big and quiet man whose rules were simple: "Respect others, especially your elders, and learn from them," "speak when it was required,(as in a question)" and one of my personal favorites... "If you have to cuss, do it quietly and out of earshot of your grandmother." And, growing up adherring to the above didn't hurt me one bit!

For example, I could sit for hours and watch the strands of cedar curl over the blade of an old spoke-shave or draw-knife as another of my grandfather's hand-wrought decoys slowly took shape from a section of an old fence-post. To this day, I still can handle what some would call an "antiquated" tool.

And, while my grandfather also taught me the rudimentary skills of fly tying, it was "Doc" Holship and the late Montgomery Jackson who took those skills to a whole new level. They also helped to shorten my fly-casting learning curve in many ways, showing me "tricks of the trade" that might have taken years for me to discover on my own.

Those who've been there, done that and got the t-shirt are walking encyclopedias of knowledge and "river smarts" that no book can fully tap into in its entirety. I've been blessed with a lifetime of teachers who were friends, and friends who became teachers, and doubly-blessed to have recognized it early. When knowledge is extended for nothing more than the cost of your time, respect and acknowledge their years and pay the price of admission. The potential dividends are HUGE, with a payoff unlike any other investment.

When a man stops adding to his personal wealth by learning something new each day, even the little things, his life becomes poorer by its loss because we only pass this way but once...

Jerry, aka hairwing530