Thread: Poons!!!
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 12:35 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poons!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
I've fished that area for Tarpon for several years now and like the above, found myself wading for the largest part..... I did tow a boat down one year only to have it succumb to motor problems, and another year a friend offered a boat ride but due to illness that didn't work out, so shorebound it is. Fishing with sharks is a reality anytime you are wading and best advice is to keep it real shallow and cast to the deeper channels flowing by. Loads of flats/channels like that in the lower keys. One thig that helps is to carry a boogie board with a basket attached on top. Swim the boat channel that's always present next to the road and that gets you to the flats beyond. Once there get your gear out of the basket and anchor your board and go for it. Worry about the sharks when you have a fish on, or when you've sighted one but other than that I dove with them for a half a century with no ill effects.
Well it went down to 50 degrees on Tuesday and Wednesday so that basically along with 40 mph winds shut the big fellas down at channel 2 and 5 bridges as well as Long Key!
Thankfully there is this fun fish known as the Redfish which when your in the backwaters of the park along with small tarpon kept us very busy and a lot of fun! Even though Id prefer to wade.
Normally I don't think about sharks just that when you see a guy shaking after losing a 100 lb fish to one as big as his boat and your chest high in the water within sight of where it happened it sort of goes through your mind a wee bit as your fighting your fish! Haha!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser