View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 01:02 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's Talk About Knives.....................

As far as fillet knives go I have quite a few! All are discarded boning knives from various butcher shops and the blades have been thinned down and resharpened by the mobil knife guy that services the supermarkets. Being the son of a butcher I learned at a very young age how to use them properly and sharpen them as well. As my Dad would say nothing beats a good steel and for me that's what I use and my fillet knives are SHARP! The one thing I learned when using a steel is to make sure your strokes are even and equal on both sides and most important you stroke the entire blade up to the tip.Anyone who spends any time filleting will tell you how important it is to have that tip as sharp as the main blade!
Being an old Boy Scout my pocket and sheath knives get done on an oil stone with plenty of oil to float the shavings. Works good for me!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser