Thread: Tenkara Forum?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 01:31 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenkara Forum?

I'm sure there are people who fish tenkara who name call and get upset at folks who use regular fly rods but I haven't seen those on this thread do that. In fact it was the people who don't like tenkara who have really led the charge in that area. The folks on this forum who fish tenkara rods generally also fish the rods many of the non-tenkara folks fish. The sarcasm and negative posts started quickly and hijacked the thread.

As others have pointed out there are plenty of ways to 'fly fish' which are talked about here that don't fit a purist's image. Some of my weighted streamers and nymphs could probably be cast with a spinning rod. Yet bamboo dry fly purists don't jump on all the threads about chucking-and-ducking or throwing heavy streamers and hijack it. Happens occasionally sure, but it is over the top when it comes to tenkara.

The comparison to other telescoping rods is tired and is beating a dead horse. If someone came and said they didn't like fishing bamboo, fiberglass, or graphite (take your pick) because they used a cheap post WWII bamboo, a clunky cheap fiberglass rod, or a $20 rod from walmart I'm sure many of you wouldn't accept that as a condemnation on all bamboo, fiberglass, or graphite rods. We should be more nuanced than that.

Sure there are forums on tenkara specifically, so what? As I said before there are forums on rod building, should we drop that section? Fly tying? Fiberglass rods? Classic fly rods? Don't some regions of the country and world have forums?

I have appreciated that those who don't want a tenkara section are offering real arguments rather than sarcasm. We likely won't all ever agree on how we like to deliver a fly to a fish, or even which type fish we prefer to catch, but perhaps we can agree to live and let live a bit more?