View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 09:30 PM

navycop10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Double Haul.... Won't.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8qvo View Post
I read down through this thread and watched the video there. That is the same exact noise I get on my 6wt with Scientific Anglers Mastery Series Titan Taper line. I used to use an older version of Orvis's WFF-6wt trout line, similar to what the Access series is today = slick. The SA Titan Taper is textured and it sounds identical to the noise on the video.

That having been said, regarding putting different line on your rod navycop - what kind of fly were you using that you feel is dragging too much? My guess is a streamer or terrestrial of some sort.

My 6wt rod was nearly my only fly rod for the past 8 years. I had cheap 8wt but only cast it a couple times a year. The biggest drawback I had with my 6wt was it didn't have much steam for bigger flies. Recently I picked up a 4wt rod and put trout line on it, so that took over my small fishing needs, and I picked up the SA Titan Taper line for my 6wt. I did not think changing the line would make THAT much of a difference but I was willing to give it a try, and boy am I glad I did. The Titan Taper line transformed the rod totally. It is not a monster fly rod, by any means, but within the limits of what I was casting on the rod before I switched lines the new line is a whole new experience. I can cast the streamers I used to have trouble casting in calm weather even in the wind now and still put them where I want.

The one big difference I felt when I switched line is the thick shooting head on the Titan Taper. It feels like casting a lump with small flies (nymphs, dries) and tends to tug the rod when I haul it. Bigger flies smooth it out. I am real happy with it overall. Until I get a heavier weight rod my 6wt is a wonderful rod to fish with.
It was a clouser minnow. A big bass hook, I think a 4/0. I am thinking of upgrading to a better quality line, and upsizing one size too. I think the bit of extra weight will help load the rod a bit better. Plus, slicker line would really help. This is even hard to strip in sometimes as it feels like it is grabbing the guides....

Greg H.
CEC, FMP, SLBT, Lc. P.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” ― Abraham Lincoln

“The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are the constitutional rights secure.” ― Albert Einstein