View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 PM

busbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud of
Default Re: Amazing how fishing makes everything better

Well, after not really fishing at all for years and years, except for the few times I brought my kids out--which was not that much at all and all I did was put the worm on the hook and take the fish off the hook--I decided a couple years ago to just go out. All I ever knew was spin fishing but I brought a chair and a kid, when I could, and went fishing. When no kid was available, I brought the chair and a cigar and just whiled my time away.

I liked the solitude. I liked the atmosphere. I found a nice little lake where, on Friday and Saturday evenings, the bar across the lake would have a guy playing acoustic guitar and singing old songs from the 70s and it was really nice. I would bring a beer or two sometimes, too, just to listen.

Then I found another lake nearby and started going there last year. I would have to walk almost all the way around the lake, thru a mass of tree roots, to get to this one spot but most people don't want to haul their stuff that far and I had the place to myself a lot of times. And I would just cast and retrieve and cast and retrieve. I would look at the hawks flying above and the few heron on the lake, along with ducks and Canadian geese. I would go there early in the morning and watch the fog on the lake dissipate as the sun came up. I would listen to the birds and watch the fish rise and take fly after fly on the surface of the lake.

That was when I decided I needed to learn how to fly fish.

Then some guy brought me to Dunbar Creek and everything just went up a notch. There was so much more to see. And the experience is way different. Everything is so much quieter and you can actually become one with nature that surrounds you.

I am to the point that even if I did not catch one fish, I would still have been giddy. I am to the point that I don't care. I actually enjoy watching others catch fish as much as catching them myself.

In other words, I enjoy everything about the entire activity, not just catching fish.