View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 01:52 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is it really worth it ?

Why fancy rods? I think my old fishing buddy put it best when he said, "It's what we do". He meant fly fishing of course and fly fish we did. We lived it and breathed it and had serious DT's when we couldn't do it for a few days in a row.
Some people will take that $700.00 and snort it up their noses in a weekend.
Others will spend it on bottles or in a bar in a short period of time and not have a whole lot to show for it.
Other ways to look at it is to use sporting anologies.
How much do green fee's or country club memberships cost an avid golfer not including clubs, balls and other stuff?
I love auto racing but cannot afford a Porshe or Ferrari but I can have the equivalent to either one with a $700.00 rod in the fly fishing world.

All that said, the $700.00 is a barrier I can't see myself breaking into for a plastic fly rod. In fact, you won't see me paying any price that even begins to approach $700.00.
In my opinion the rod makers are way past the point of diminishing returns with their premium rod pricing but who knows, if one of them dared lower their best offerings prices would they sell as many? I can just imagine the skuttlebutt if something like that ever happened.

With TONS of disposable income and a good, long life ahead of me I would take a long, hard look at owning rods at those prices but unfortunately, I have neither so I'll just have to stay with yesteryears' premium rods which are fantastic rods even now but cost me a great deal less than $700.00.