Thread: 10 and 12 wt
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 10 and 12 wt

Rip has it right. A 12 will flat out wear you down. Its not the weight of the rod, its the weight of the line you are pulling through the air. To be honest, unless you are chaing fish over 80-90 lbs (Tarpon, Billfish, etc.) a 10 will suffice. If you do decide you have the moxie to muscle a 12 for extended casting sessions, make sure you try out some rods first. Some of the 12wts out there are nearly uncastable IMO. Loading some of them is like trying to feel a feather on the end of a broomstick!

I spent a day in South Carolina last year casting a 12wt for Tarpon outside of the Georgetown area. By noon my right shoulder was shot, and I spent the remainder of the day casting an 8wt lefthanded for Redfish and Speckled Trout. A good double-haul will extend you stamina, but not indefinitely.

For our CR Tarpon clients we recommend 14 wts because the fish average so big, and you need the lifting power to get them off the bottom in the deeper water. In CR you aren't casting to Tarpon on the flats. Its more like trolling or swinging steamers.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.