View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is it really worth it ?

I'll try an apples to apples shot at this, I'm not fishing today. I have a modest priced 9'/#5, an early Albright EXS, that is a terrific fishing rod. OK, it is made in Korea and, though well built, is not beautiful...in fact it has a funky Formica flake-like paint job. I really like its taper though and it has plenty of power; I have made many a good cast with it and hooked countless trout while fishing it. I have broken it once but a new section was supplied to me at no cost. It is a back-up rod now because I got a Hardy Zenith $659.00 rod in the same size. It is well-built in Korea too and, though better looking than my EXS, it is not a work of art cosmetically...but it is when casting it. It loads in close much better than EXS and is much smoother in its taper transitions as I reach for different presentation distances. Zenith has remarkable reflexes and is a joy to fish with. I have lots of rods from many different price points that I fish with and it means nothing to me what anyone I meet astream thinks about what class of tackle I have...though, as on this forum, my buddies and I may hang around the camp fire dissecting tackle performance and how it enriched our day. You, we, the fly fishers, fish with our fly rods and a good caster will perform well with any reasonably balanced outfit, new, old, inexpensive or dear. A good caster will also discern the differences between a simple, competent rod and the work of a master rod designer.

Even as a penniless trout bum decades ago, the differences between a common fly rod and the craft of master designers was abundantly clear. I am not as strong now as I was then but my technique has continued to evolve and there is no way I am going to ignore or deprive myself of the very real advances in material and design that make the current crop of fly rods the finest ever built.