View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 08:29 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The mulberry "hatch"--CARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by namekagon View Post
Up here it's the cottonwood seed hatch,,,usually in mid June.
a #10

Click the image to open in full size.
That is a great looking fly! Around here, the water is so clear that the grassies are very line and hook shy so I have to tie a more traditional dry pattern, all white with hook covered. It is amazing though to watch a 20 lb fish chasing a seed blowing across the surface of the pond.

---------- Post added at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
Back before many of you were around I discovered the Mulberry connection and imitating them even though I didn't have a fly rod around that day. Some bit of cotton from a torn shirt, wrapped and shaped on a hook, squashed Mulberries to color it and giving the best fly cast that one can with a five foot casting rod while hiding behind the tree truck accounted for several fish that day. That was in Springfield, Ohio, Snyder Park, circa 1950. Since then I've caught the hatch several times with a more appropriate fly rod and deer hair Mulberry flies and had a ball.
Talk about a small world, I grew up in Springfield, OH, went to church on Maiden Lane Av. and had many carpin' days at Snyder Park in the 70s and 80s. Most of my family still lives in Springfield. Would you believe that Mad River now holds 20" - 30" brownies?